Saturday, December 5, 2009

Sherman Alexie and Jess Walter in Spokane


Big Frank spent the afternoon (along with 100 others) with two terrific writers, both national book award winner, who are native to Spokane. They were giving a reading at Aunties, Spokane's locally owned bookstore. The room was full, standing room only, and both gave funny and heart-warming readings, with plenty of local references to keep the crowd from Spokane happy. When Sherman noticed some young folks from a town where he used to live he struck up a conversation with them, and finding out who they were - he told one of them that he had made out this the guy's aunt! Walter read an extended demographic piece on Spokane which helped him explain to himself, and the audience why it was that he still lived in Spokane, even after all his success as a writer. Walter only read one piece, Alexie, read about 6 of his poems - all much appreciated. The best line, which Big Frank can only remember in paraphrase was from Sherman's poem entitled "Late Night Phone Call From a Former Girlfriend", which ended with this couplet:

"What we really most want for ever more
Is to be wanted by those we wanted before."

Here's another poem of Alexie's recently published in Valparaiso Poetry Review:

HOMILY
by Sheman Alexie
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Desire is the inconvenience of its object.
Lourdes isn’t Lourdes if you live in Lourdes.”
—Don Paterson, Best Thought, Worst Thought

How often have I walked through my front door
And forgotten to exult? Why won’t I roar
For all of the objects that I adore?
When did I stop praising the books I hoard
And the bookcases, lovingly restored?
Why do I ignore the baskets and gourds?
O, Lord, let my love for things be reborn.

Let me sanctify my shirts and coats, adorned
With feather, paint, and bead. Let me sing for
The star quilts piled on the beds and floors.
I own so much yet want for so much more.
Why do I treat my possessions with scorn?
From this day forward, let us be forewarned:
Lourdes isn’t Lourdes if you live in Lourdes.

2 comments:

Gina said...

YOU SAW SHERMAN ALEXIE!
no. fair.

Big Frank Dickinson said...

Gina, he was terrific; the poetry he read was really good; you would have enjoyed it!