Thursday, July 21, 2011

Don Paterson aphorisms

Big Frank has been reading Don Paterson's book of aphorism's: Best Thought, Worst Thought. It is a wonderful collection and recommended to all of you who enjoy this short form, which Paterson sums up this way: "The aphorism is the rational articulation of a fleeing hysteria." Here are few more to enjoy:

In my adult life, the time I have actually lived inside the present moment would amount to no more than a single day. If only I could have lived it as a single day; it would have thrown its light into all the others, like a brazier in a dark arcade. Instead I find my way by sparks, and what they briefly made visible.

Always an error to make someone profess what they will not volunteer -- especially in love, where the spontaneity of its declaration is all the language ever holds of it.

The most erotic things that can be done to you are those that are driven by the purest selfishness on the part of your lover. Charity, on the other hand, is the great anaphrodisiac.

Desire is the inconvenience of its object. Lourdes isn't Lourdes if you live in Lourdes.

I was so practiced in disappointment, I absorbed the blow of her leaving me almost effortlessly. Allowing yourself to be constructed means you have been a different man from the start; I merely left his body behind like a husk, and let him take the punch. (I watched him double up as from above.) The loveless wraith of me was then free to wander, looking for my new instructions.

Consciousness can no more unmask its nature than the eye can see itself. It is contractually blind.

1 comment:

Gina said...

those aphorisms sure do pack a punch!
oh to live in the moment, how deceptively simple it is.