Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Anderson Paak- Come Down (live)


Big Frank has been listening to a lot of Anderson .Paak lately. Above is one of his best tunes "Come Down."

            Hey, now you, drank up all my liquor, come on
            What I'm 'posed to do now? (Hey, what I'm 'posed to do now?)            And you talkin' all that shit, now come on            You gon' have to back it up (ay, you gon' have to back it up)
             If I get too high now, sugar, come on             II might never come down (I might never come down)

Now keep in mind that Anderson .Paak is a happily married 36 year-old with a couple of kids. So don't confuse the musician/singer with the character in the narrative of the song. That story line that is made more graphic in one music video that includes video of a guy in the background puking, fighting, threatening behavior, ... all of which goes totally with the lyrics above "If I get too high now, sugar, come on/ I might never come down (I might never come down).

As Live 365 puts it: "Listening to "Come Down" is like being a spy at a party. The vibe is lively and flamboyant, yet there's some kind of toxic behavior happening within the celebration's background. Is it possible to be mad and happy at the same time?" Indeed, Big Frank for one totally remembers times when the party crossed the line (or did it?).


Next, above, "Am I Wrong? and Let's Dance." This develops more a dance groove laying down a steady four on the floor with some beautiful guitar chords. Then .Paak comes in singing "I'm only comin out to play. The lyric gives a kind of carpe diem line about life not being something to be wasted. So one should "romance like you dance:" "Am I wrong to assume/if she can't dance/then she can't ooh." The groove keeps on with the drumbeat and the funky baseline. Big Frank thinks only the leaden footed will not be dancin by this point. Terrific song.




No comments: