Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Thought-terminating Cliché

Clichés are the simplistic, thought-negating, tired, and generally vague notions, ideas, images, and expressions that people use in place of true thought. Dictionaries typically define clichés as trite phrases or expressions, for example:

“You only get out of life what you put into it.”
“There you go!”
"Time takes time."

What do these clichés really mean? When they are put in equivolent words their inanity emerges. For example:
  • "I'm a work in progress." = "I'm still not dead."
  • "Life is a journey." = "In my life I will go places and do things."
  • "It is what it is." = "It exists."
  • "It will be what it will be." = In time something will change, or else it won't."
In other words these clichés are empty of thought beyond the transparently obvious truth they express. So why are they used so often. Perhaps it is becuase when real thought is desired to truly express the distinct meaning appropriate to a unique situation (a predicament that calls upon some reflection and search for appropriate expression – appropriate to thinker and his/her context) these clichés spring to mind. They come to relieve you of the difficulty of thinking for yourself: they'll think for you. The more you use them the harder they are to get rid of. Keep in mind that clichés also include the ideas that they express! This is the true danger of using them. By doing so you relinquish your own awareness, feeling, and ideas and surrender yourself to the vagueness of the cliché. Thinking then becomes thought via "clipthoughts".

Robert Jay Lifton calls this surrender to the cliché “thought-terminating cliché”. When such a cliché is used it does not permit analysis, or discussion. The conversation is over. It is characteristic of totalitarian regimes and totalitarian approaches to relationships. When someone trots out one of the following during the analysis of a complex human problem you know the conversation has ended. These clichés are by nature highly reductive, definitive-sounding, easily memorized, and easily expressed. They are also totally empty in that there is no relationship between the words, their meanings, and the topic or person at hand. Here are some we all have bumped into:

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion.”
“We will have to agree to disagree.”
“Such is life.”
“We are just different.”

Here Big Frank is making reference to the verbal clues (clichés) to the vacuousness of the thought. There are also visual clues, clipart, for example. Perhaps the key notion here is one of awareness of self and the world coupled with an ability to express one's individual way of seeing things. It requires effort. Here’s William Stafford’s view on discovering his own way of looking at things, which he characterizes in almost romantic terms as finding his MUSE.

When I Met My Muse
By William Stafford

I glanced at her and took my glasses
Off—they were still singing. They buzzed
Like a locust on the coffee table and then
Ceased. Her voice belled forth, and the
Sunlight bent. I felt the ceiling arch, and
Knew that nails up there took a new grip
On whatever they touched. "I am your own
Way of looking at things," she said. "When
You allow me to live with you, every
Glance at the world around you will be
A sort of salvation." And I took her hand.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. This post is really something.

Trizi said...

Thanks for writing this. I have been frustrated with the "it is what it is" cliche that is so overused by my life coach and exec friends, which I always took as such a resigned approach. Now I see it as controlling; a way to stop the conversation. I now have the following quote at the bottom of my emails:


"The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by obvious realities. We need men and women who can dream of things that never were..." John F. Kennedy

Of course, he got himself killed - and that "is what it is" I suppose.

Unknown said...

Yeah I use these whenever I don;t feel like talking which is kinda often. I'm just not the type of person who interfere or cares about other people's lives so much. But still a good post.