Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Magritte's "The Lovers II"


Cliches as illustrated by paintings. Here is Magritte’s famous painting “The Lovers II”. It is an visual cliché. How shall we interpret it? Let Big Frank count the ways.
-
Given that it is a cliché, perhaps a list of clichés would be a good place to start.
1. Love is blind.
2. Misery loves company.
3. Love at first sight
4. Love knows no color.
-
But then again song lyrics capture these clichés very well also.
1. “It’s love’s illusion I recall. I really don’t know love at all.”: Joni Mitchell – “Both Sides Now”
2. “You’re my love cliché. I like it that way.” : Bran Van 3000 – “Love Cliché”
3. "Maybe I'm amazed at the way I love you." Paul McCartney - "Maybe I'm Amazed"
-
And the actual song titles give the most complete list of clichés available.
1. “Be My Escape” Reliant K.
2. “Crazy” Patsy Cline
3. “Dangerous To Know” Hillary Duff
4. “Do You Want To Know a Secret” The Beatles
5. “Dreaming of You” Selena
6. “Hips Don’t Lie” Shakira
7. “Hope Has a Place” Enya
8. “I Want a Love I Can See” Jennifer Love Hewitt
9. “I Only Have Eyes For You” Frank Sinatra
10. “Imagine” John Lennon
11. “Still Crazy After All These Years” Paul Simon
12. “Underneath Your Clothes” Shakira
13. “What is Love” Haddaway
14. “We Belong Together” Mariah Carey
15. “World of Our Own” Westlife

2 comments:

dan patterson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dan patterson said...

how about Kluing, kluxxing, klanning, and kissing?