Monday, January 11, 2010

The Things I Know Little About (but something)


1. The Garbage Disposal

The garbage disposal is under your sink attached to the drain pipe. Actually it sits right above the drain pipe. It can dispose of garbage by grinding up food scraps. It is not intended for non-organic waste like wood, glass, paper etc. The interior of the garbage disposal is a complete mystery to me. I have, however, looked into its mouth and saw some small round discs that evidently go round and round very fast and grind up food waste. It is important to keep the water running when food is being ground up - I'm not sure why. I was told this the first time I used one, and have never tried to grind up food without running the water. I have also been told that putting ice cubes down it can sharpen the blades. I do that also; although I have no real proof that it actually does sharpen blades. I'm not sure why I listen to people when they tell me these kinds of things. Maybe I'm more amenable to suggestions regarding machines or appliances than I am on, for example, psychological or spiritual suggestions. I mean, if someone told me that he had heard that a good way to improve your psychological well-being or spiritual wholeness (whatever that means) would be to, for example, sleep with you feet facing south or to clap your hands at the moon in January - I would not believe that without some kind of evidence. However, with garbage disposals I'm easily influenced. Lately there seems to be some kind of new enlightened view of garbage disposal use that is being propogated - minimal use. I've heard this from a couple of people. Basically they told me; don't put your food waste down the garbage disposal; put it in the garbage because the garbage disposal is only for the minimal food scraps that somehow inadvertantly get left in the sink. This I do not follow because it's like saying that you should not actually drive your car anywhere unless you find yourself in the car inadvertantly going somewhere.

No comments: