Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Thought and Will


Big Frank has been reading the poetry of C. K. Williams. His poetry is very accessible, wide-ranging in content, and penetratingly accurate. Big Frank wants to say introspective, but Williams manages to write of the aspects of thought and feelings that resonate broadly. Here is a poem on mind and will that surely all can identify with.

Thinking Thought

"Oh, soul," I sometimes -- often -- still say when I'm trying to convince
my inner self of something.
"Oh, soul," I say still, "there's so much to be done, don't want to stop to
rest now, not already.
"Oh, soul," I say, "the implications of the task are clear, why procrasti-
nate, why whine?"
All the while I know my struggle has to do with mind being only
sometimes subject to the will,
that other portion of itself which manages to stay so recalcitrantly, obsti-
nately impotent.
"Oh, soul, come into my field of want, my realm of act, be attentive to
my computations and predictions."
But as usual soul resits, as usual soul retires, as usual soul's old act of dis-
sipation and removal.
Oh, the furious illusive unities of want, the frail, false fusions and discur-
sive chains of hope.
-- C. K. Williams

No comments: