Thursday, October 2, 2008

Taking Off

Big Frank is taking off tomorrow morning for 10 days in the land of the sliding doors. He'll be in Nagoya, Tokyo, and Osaka. Japan is a terrific country to be in either for a short or long time. The food is outstanding, the people unfailingly hospitable, the onsen soothing, and fashion cutting edge. What's not to like? Well, one thing is the trip over and back -- one has to get into the zone and just let the time and distance wash over you. Big Frank views journeys as opportunities, not only to travel in space and time, but also to travel to new personal spaces. When one interrupts the usual routines it allows for new observations to impinge on your psyche and that can lead to change. Departure as arrival; going as coming; absence as presence. With that in mind here's a poem:

A Traveler's Wish
By Big Frank Dickinson

Let me take off clearly knowing nothing
Haunts me as I move outside of the usual;
Let those dear ones behind be as
Safe at home as I will be on the road.

Let the journey take me outside of me
To a place long-sought, accepted, and true;
Let this absence be a presence
Arriving with me and welcomed by all.

Let the return be a renewed reward
For having left the unwanted behind.
Let the absence be a fulfillment of the
Wanted's arrival welcomed home.

No comments: