Monday, October 6, 2008

Sushi in Tokyo

Big Frank has been going to the same small family run sushi bar for about 8 years. This evening he headed over there once again. It's located in Shinjuku on the corner of a busy street. Sad to say it closed! I think their prices were too low; I mean right in the middle of Tokyo - a good full serving of sashimi and sushi with miso soup and beer for only about $15.00! Too good to be true. So Big Frank wandered on into new neighborhoods in search of a replacement. He found a reasonable facimile about a half mile down the road on a side street. It had the baseball game on, and two sushi chefs behind the counter where I sat. In the back were a couple of tables of businessmen enjoying sushi and the end of their work day. I ordered the seto - six pieces of sushi, six pieces of sashimi, miso soup, and a salad! I was a little leary of the salad, but it was actually pretty good: lettuce and octopus with a light vinagrette dressing. I enjoyed the meal, but it wasn't the same. (Oh, and it cost over twice what the other place charges, but I expect this one will survive). The photo is of the entrance to this sushi bar: may they prosper.

No comments: