Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A Very Short Story



Will The Universe Instruct Him?
By Big Frank Dickinson

- I live with a man who sits in a chair and is mostly not there.
- And what is it that you did before you joined him there?
- Well, I've always been quite spiritual. Actually, at one time even religious. I was actually a Methodist minister who tended my flock and dispensed spiritual bromides.
- Oh, are you still religious now?
- Now, like I said, now I'm spiritual, but not religious. The universe is my god now; not some dusty book whose main protaganist has a beard and sits on a cloud.
- But you live with a man who mostly sits in a chair, as I understand. Is he religious?
- This is a temporary relationship. We don't really share any interests with each other, but he needs me. Actually he's an invalid; that's pretty much why he just sits in that chair. I pretty much support him with my settlement.
- Settlement?
- Yes, like I said, I was a minister and the church had to settle with me because of some injury that I suffered from their congregation.
- Oh, I'm sorry to hear that.
- Don't be - they deserved it.
- Deserved it?
- Yes, having to pay me that settlement for what they did to me. It was horrible; I'm pretty much unable to function normally.
- But I thought it was your . . . man who was disabled.
- He's disabled, I'm scarred.
- Oh, so what is it that you do now?
- I write and give readings.
- Readings?
- Yes, I can channel.
- Channel?
- Yeah, you know - connect with someone and have special insights into them.
- Oh? What kind of insights?
- Well, I get images and words and they just come to me.
- Do you think that you could channel me?
- Sure would you like me to do that?
- Well, I've never been channelled before what's it like?
- I'll tell you what is in the channel; you might find it interesting - I've done this for a lot of people. They always tell me that what I have to say is pretty amazing. I don't know how I do it - it just comes to me.
- So what do I have to do?
- Nothing, just listen. OK, I'm going to close my eyes and then. . . I can see a picnic table and it has an old lamp on it. Maybe a lamp that is somehow connected with a relative - a female relative. Do you have a female relative?
- Yeah, lots of them.
- I thought so.
- Let's see . . . Oh, there is lots of blue and some broken pieces of pottery. You broke something and you can't put it back together. Does that mean anything to you.
- No, not really.
- You're not being very cooperative here. I'm not sure that I can continue this channeling if I'm going to be picking up this negative energy.
- Oh, OK; well keep going. What else?
- It's cloudy now - darkness. I see confusion and uncertainty. A plan, . . . no a map but you're not sure which way is north. There seems to be a problem with direction. In the corner there is a compass, but you are ignoring it. Yes, I see an open window with curtain flowing out it and you can't keep it inside. Outside a crow - a large one with a branch in its mouth. This is a very powerful image.
- Oh?
- Is that all you can say? So, what do you think? What does this mean to you?
- Oh, well. It really doesn't mean anything to me. None of those images are really any part of any memories or dreams of mine . . . not really anything. Is that what you mean?
- Well, if you are going to be sceptical . . . Really! You do need to acquire some social skills. You know I was doing this channelling for you because you asked. What kind of gratitute is that? I really think that your social interaction is extremely lacking - and it is pulling me down. I feel . . . wounded. That's enough . . . I'm not going to continue if you are going to be like that. I really have to go. And . . .maybe one day the universe will sit you down and teach you a thing or two. But I'm not going to. I'm afraid I must be going.
- Oh?

No comments: