Sunday, July 12, 2009

One of These Days

One of These Days
----- Big Frank Dickinson

One of these days
I'm gonna wake up and you'll be gone.
I will bend like the trees in the wind
Resound like rustling leaves;
Roughly jostled, but singing to be alive.
I'm gonna see myself as I am and
Not as I think I should be.
I'm gonna treasure the bond of those
That stay with me as they can and
Not regret what they could not be,
Nor part from me nor me from them
Because of what we cannot be.
I'm gonna speak the truth
In the face of the cliche.
I'm will travel with an empty suitcase
And fill it as I go.
I will look at the scenery that passes
And not at me.
I will wake not with thoughts of what wasn't
But with the excitement about what is coming.
I am going to be exactly as I am,
And not an approximation of what I could be.
I will sing the song of everyday,
And not the dirge of what went astray.
I will look in the mirror and see myself.
I will walk down the street and feel the beat
Of my feet in rhythm to the syncopation
Of my heart and know that we are going
Together to a place where there are others
Or none, lovers, or some approximation
Who join me in being, just being together.

2 comments:

Gina said...

Great poem Dad!
I was intrigued by some of the rhetoric choices...

you used "i'm" when it wasn't grammatically correct and "bound" instead of "bond" once.
what was the thinking behind those choices?

Big Frank Dickinson said...

Gina,
Thanks for the kind words, and for pointing out the typos - not much thinking behind those choices:)