Sunday, July 26, 2009

What I Don't Know

What I Don't Know
---- Big Frank Dickinson

These are the things that I don't know:
The song of a tree with no leaves,
The age of a heart when on its knees,
The name of a lake that's been drained dry,
The purpose of an empty sigh,
Why words hold less than what you mean,
Our civilization's grasp of clean,
Determination's length of rope,
How it is that loss breeds hope,
The only way to get things done,
How the end just never comes,
The meaning of 'it had to be',
Why we think that life is free.

2 comments:

A misinterpreted wave said...

I really loved reading this one. My two favourite lines are:

Why words hold less ... and The meaning of ...

I think you've really opened up what it means to live in this world sometimes, but we just have to acknowledge that we don't know and try to work with it.

It seems like a relatively simple poem, yet it is so beyond simplistic. Thanks so much for sharing it.

Big Frank Dickinson said...

Thank you. What we don't know? . . . volumes.