Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Magic Lantern


The Magic Lantern
---- Big Frank Dickinson

This bronze lamp will accompany me everywhere;
It might could have possibly at one time contained
A genie; now it doesn't. The genie is gone -Not sure where.
But he may return - could be coming any day.
Bring back the genie and stuff him in the lamp.
I'm not sure if I'm talking to the lamp or the genie.
No matter, I don't really believe that either is
Magical, but still the idea that there is such a
Magical possibility is magic itself, and I will
Carry that idea around with me with this lamp.
I will not just carry it, but I will position it with the lamp in
The actual context of the object of my desires.
It will be a kind of ritualistic talisman, and in placing it at
The center of what it is that I want, I will
Contextualize my desire; perhaps the context
Will enter the lamp and a kind of inverse wish
Will occur, where the absence of my desire will
Inhabit the lamp rather than the object of my desire
Coming out of the lamp to fill my empty context.
Absence subtracted from context might equal fulfillment.
Suck out that gaping hole of desire, and pull in all that surrounds it
Like the center of a zero drawing all that surrounds into its nothingness.

6 comments:

Spike said...

Hey Big Frank really enjoying the blog, especially the poetry. This last one really got me thinking. What if absence subtracted from context equals resentment, as the attainment of ones desire is often less fulfilling than the pursuit. Should I toss out the lamp?

Big Frank Dickinson said...

Hey Spike,
Good to hear from you. You raise some good questions. Resentment? I don't know. The absence of all desire would be boredom. However, the absence of any particular desire would probably occur if its context were removed. Desire has to have hook to be hung on and it usually attaches to something else surrounding you - most often - your own thoughts! Hang on to that lamp; but use it rather than have it use you!

Renee said...

I believe in it Frank, I think it is possible.

Renee xoxo

A misinterpreted wave said...

I really like how you explained that the idea that there is magic is what actually fulfils you.

It's almost like childhood. So often I hear adults wishing that they could go back to the childlike state when they had no worries, I guess it would be the same for desires. It would be nice to be able to eliminate these desires and feel somewhat freer.


I agree with what you said to Spike though, that without these desires we could be bored, and need them to keep on striving, but it is the hope that the lamp offers that is important.

Great images and message.

Big Frank Dickinson said...

Hey Chris,
The elimination of desires that are completely out of your control leads to tranquility. This is why the anti-Genie is the real "Genie".

Jeremy Lewit said...

Well, absence of desire is itself an attainment, isn't it? That's what I love about the playing with the idea of positive and negative space in this poem, because all ideas live in negative space until made positive - by something like a poem.

I also love how the language starts very clear and conversational and then - bang - you're into those reverses and juxtapositions, language trapping itself, releasing itself - a lot of fun in the sound of that, too -