Saturday, August 8, 2009

Coldplay

Big Frank has been listening to a lot of Coldplay lately. Especially three CDs: "Parachutes", "A Rush of Blood to the Head", and Viva La Vida". All are excellent - worth listening to many times and then many more. So Big Frank took a closer look at the lyrics of all the songs on these CDs to see how they stand up without the music. Short answer: not so well. Long answer: there are some good bits here and there. However, remember, this is a band, and their lyrics without their music is like, well, it's like a painting in the dark, or someting like that.

So first of all listen to one of their best songs: "Lovers in Japan/Reign of Love", off of "Viva La Vida". Big Frank, having spent considerable time in the land of the sliding doors especially like the lines:

"Tonight maybe we're gonna run/Dreaming of the Osaka sun . . . Dreaming of when the morning comes."

Here are the other lines that Big Frank likes - not full lyrics - just the best lines (the prevailing theme here is one is loss):

Off of "Viva La Vida"

Lovers in Japan/Reign of Love
Lovers keep on the road you're on
Runners, until the race is run
Soldiers, you've go to soldier on
Sometimes even right is wrong

42
You thought you might be a ghost
You thought you might be a ghost
You didn't get to heaven but you made it close
You didn't get to heaven but you made it close

Violet Hill
I took my love down to violet hill
There we sat in snow
All that time she was silent still
So if you love me
Won't you let me know?

Strawberry Swing
People leaving all the time
Inside
A perfectly straight line
Don't you wanna curve away
It's such
It's such a perfect day
It's such a perfect day

Off of "Parachutes"

Yellow
So then I took my time
Oh what a thing to've done

Trouble
Oh no, what's this?
A spider web, and I'm caught in the middle,
So turned to run,
The thought of all the stupid things I've done

Off of "A Rush of Blood to the Head"

Amsterdam
You can say what you mean
But it won't change a thing
I'm sick of the secrets
Stood on the edge, tied to the noose
And you came along and you cut me loose

Politik
Look at earth from outer space
Everyone must find a place
Give me time and give me space
Give me real, don't give me fake
Give me strength, reserve control
Give me heart and give me soul
Give me time, give us a kiss
Tell me your own politik

Open up your eyes
Open up your eyes
Open up your eyes
Just open up your eyes


The Scientist
Come up to meet ya, tell you I'm sorry
You don't know how lovely you are
I had to find you, tell you I need ya
And tell you I set you apart
Tell me your secrets, and nurse me your questions
Oh let's go back to the start

A Whisper
Night turns to day and I still have thse questions
You just won't break, should I go forwards or backwards
Night turns to day and I've still got not answers

Just a whisper, whisper, whisper, whisper

No comments: