Tuesday, November 18, 2008

In Your Dreams



Supporting Role

Dream me away; give me a part
in your nightland drama, strange friend,
at your side, and fading out.
Cast me protean and insubstantial.

Dream-walker, leaving all
accountability, actuality, and singularity:
pirated edition of myself in the shadows
of your private theatrical show.

Engulf me in your clouds and cushion
my memory from any recollection
of this grainy supporting role, where
I play both the stand-in and the lead.

I will share your night-time escapades;
in Vienna, Bangkok or Rome;
descending the back-alley staircase
at night with a train shudder soundtrack.

And when you turn in the dark, not understanding,
it will be I who asks the question, the answer to which
eludes you til dawn, when it will awake
from this fading dream in mine.

---- Big Frank Dickinson

No comments: