Monday, November 17, 2008

Valerio Magrelli

Big Frank has been reading "Nearsights" by Valerio Magrelli (translated from the Italian by Anthony Molino). You won't find much of his work available in English, but what there is well worth reading. Magrelli writes short poems. Many of his poems trace the birth of poems, and he appears to do much of his writing at night in his bed: "Under the sheets my roots of flesh/ lie entangled,/ only my head juts out". He uses sharp images, and reveals in his poetry the shifting climate of mind-body we all pass through in life. Here are a couple of his poems. Most of his poems are untitled.

I am what is missing
from the world I inhabit,
the One
I'll never meet.
Spinning, I coincide
with what I lack.
I am my own eclipse,
my absence, melancholy,
the geometrial object
I'll need forever to do without.

--- Valerio Magrelli


I've often imagined gazes
surviving the act of seeing
as if they were poles,
measured distanced, lances
in battle.
Then I think of a room
just abandoned
where similar traces remain
for a time suspended and intersecting
in the balance of their design
intact and overlapping, like
pick-up sticks.
---- Valerio Magrelli

No comments: