Sunday, January 11, 2009

I'm outa here - I'm coming back - or is it the other way around?



"Now I'm a little past Little Rock
further down the line
too soon to know what's up ahead
too late to change my mind
I've got to keep my heart out of this
and both hands on the wheel
I'm learning more with every mile
just how leaving feels
It's a lonely stretch of blacktop
out into the blue
don't know where I'll go
or what I'll do
I'm a little past Little Rock,
but a long way from over you."

This is from Lee Ann Womack's tune "A Little Past Little Rock", which is off her CD "Some Things I Know". However, note that she has just released a new CD "Call Me Crazy." Lee Ann is quintessential country - about as good as it gets. She is old-school country, she's always solidly supported with extraordinarily strong musicians. She is firmly in the themes of country in all her songs - you know: OMG he's gone, he was bad, but OMG I love him and miss him. Take the above song. As the music video clearly indicates here's this lovely woman who had to leave Dallas - in the middle of the night. Why? Because she broke up with her guy so when night "with nothing more than a tank of gas" she leaves and heads north. So here she is, on the road driving away from Dallas but the whole way she's thinking of nothing except the guy whom she's leaving. The thing that she really wants is to go back to this guy that she's running away from. So, OK all you non-country fans are going - what a bunch of hokey nonsense. But . . wait a cotton pickin minute: who among you has not been in a similar situation. Well maby not in a jeep driving to Little Rock, but I have to get away from this guy/girl - I've got to get back to this guy/girl - I've got to get away. Country has its own take. So how about a hippy riff on the exact ambiguous feeling - here's Maggie Estep, slam poet, on the same topic "I'm an Emotional Idiot" or watch her perform it here. Confusion comes with being human.

1 comment:

dan patterson said...

I can relate, although I intend to stop in Little Rock and not go a little past.